Over the winter we set about designing our newest model of Legacy Bikes – The Model 2 – and it is now available to order. It is essentially the same frame with a few changes that make it easier to maintain and compatible with some great new technology. The first example of the Model 2 is our North American Handmade Bicycle Show show bike – it was setup to be even more of a no-nonsence, get-on-and-ride city/commuter bike with a new step though frame. Here are some of the main features:
1. Vertical Dropouts and Eccentric bottom bracket. This is the heart of the new model. With this setup we have made it easier to keep your chain tight and wheel straight. There is no adjustment to where the rear wheel fits in – so it always goes back into the same spot it was before. It also makes the frame compatible with a belt drive (see below).
2. Gates Carbon Drive. No Grease. No Noise. No Moving Parts. The Gates belt system is an emerging technology that is a great leap forward for bicycles. The removal of grease from the system keeps you and the belt from getting dirty and does not attract grit that would otherwise wear it out. This leads to a long lasting, hassle free and clean ride. The Model 2 can take advantage of this system with the addition of a split in the frame.
3. Step-Through Frame Design. For anyone who wants to be able to get on and off of their bike with a little more ease and grace. This model is also available in the traditional diamond frame. The step-through frame design is only available on the Model 2. The frame geometry doesn’t change so it will feel and ride the same.
4. Generator Lighting. Stay safe with powerful LED lights front and back – powered by the front hub. Your lights are always there with you on your bike – no more batteries to replace, clip on lights to get stolen and no way to forget your light at home. Also available on either of our models.
5. Drum Brakes. These hub based brakes are always there when you need them. Totally enclosed within the hub, they are impervious to all weather conditions and won’t deposit brake grime onto your rims – leaving them clean and not wearing them out. These brakes are also available on both models, but are better suited for the Model 2.
6. Fender and Rack Attachment. A necessity for any commuter, so they have been built into all our frames. Fenders for those wet days and racks for when you want to carry a bag or two without having it on your back.
7. Always Hand Made. From the smallest detail to the largest choices – all handmade with care.
If you have any more specific questions or would like to place an order – please feel free to contact me.